Missoni

August 20, 2012

How the Cobbler Crumbles.

Peach and Cherry Crumble
This time of year means one thing, peaches.  I've been stewing them (served over ice cream) and baking them every chance I get.  And while at the grocers the other day I saw a sign for "Fresh, Local Peaches."  So I went to work and picked out a few choice ones.  Unfortunately, "fresh and local" might not mean the same thing to a large scale grocery store as it does to me.  I think of peach orchards back home, or peach trees in neighbors backyards that we all took from.  That's my idea of how a peach should taste.

So I ended up with a few, not so great peaches.  And I was curious to see what could be done with them.  After I rummaged around in the pantry for a bit I found a can of cherry pie filling (do not judge me...) and thought I might be on to something.

Cherry pie filling can be very sweet (although I can eat the glaze with a spoon...) so I seldom use it.  But the "fresh and local" peaches worked perfectly with it to give it a tart flavor that I found surprisingly tasty! 

I cooked up a yummy Peach and Cherry Crumble that I will definitely make again.  I will even go so far as to say I recommend firmer peaches (aka "Fresh and Local") for this recipe.  They hold their shape well, and the cherry glaze sweetens them just enough.  Enjoy!

.....................



















Serves 6

Filling:
2 semi-ripe peaches, peeled and chopped into 1 inch chunks
1 can cherry pie filling
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

Crumble:
1 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/4  to 1/3 cup light brown sugar
1/4 to 1/2  teaspoon Kosher salt*
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 stick unsalted butter, diced

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Toss the ingredients for filling and scoop into small ramekins or medium sized casserole dish (8 x 8).  In bowl of electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment combine flour, sugars, salt, cinnamon, and butter.  Mix on low speed until butter is the size of small peas.  Spread evenly over fruit mixture.  Place ramekins (or casserole) on baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes until crumble is brown and crisp, and juices are bubbly.  Serve with scoop of favorite ice cream.

You can make the crumble(s) ahead and store unbaked in the refrigerator.

*Different Kosher salts have different weights.  Diamond brand Kosher is lighter than Morton.  I usually cut the salt measurement in half when cooking with Morton to avoid over-salting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment